If you’re anything like me, you are counting down the days until the newest season of the HBO hit series Game of Thrones premieres. Many have been swept up by the epic fantasy series which tells the story of four main families (the Lannisters, the Starks, the Baratheons and the Targaryens) as they vie for control of the kingdom of Westeros. The TV show is based on the book series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. There are currently five books in the series with two more slated to be published in coming years.
The official trailer for Season 5 of Game of Thrones was recently released and gives us some great glimpses at what we can expect when the season begins on April 12. This list may contain spoilers for those who aren’t caught up with the TV series and have not read the books.
- We will see even more of the world of Game of Thrones. Up to this point, we’ve been introduced to a good chunk of Game of Thrones geography, but most of the plot takes place in a few key areas. In the upcoming season, we will see some brand new cities and get some fresh scenery.
- It will combine events from A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons. In the book series, books four and five take place in the same general area of the story timeline but focus on different groups of characters. To make things easier for viewers to follow, showrunners have merged the two books for the fifth season of Game of Thrones. This means instead of having one season focusing on the events happening in Westeros and the following season focusing on Essos, we will get scenes with all of the key characters no matter where they are in the world.
- We may be in store for some interesting flashbacks. In the book series, Martin uses flashbacks to reveal new information about characters we’ve known for years. If avid fans who have analyzed the trailer are correct, we may be in store for some key flashback scenes that will give new insight to some of our most loved and hated characters.
- Characters will evolve. In the last season, we saw some startling changes in a few of the main characters, and this season will delve deeper into their lives post-evolution. As always in this series, it is impossible to tell who is good and who is evil, and no one is ever safe.
- I repeat: No one is ever safe. If there is one thing we can expect from the upcoming season of Game of Thrones, it is that someone will die. In past seasons we have been faced with some surprising ends to characters both loved and loathed. Martin has made it clear that any character can die. He is not one for sparing main characters and often works in their deaths to help advance the plot. While the trailer didn’t tease much to this effect, I’m sure we can expect some similar surprises in the upcoming season.
If you haven’t begun watching Game of Thrones or reading its counterpart book series, now is the perfect time to start! You may even have time to get caught up (with the TV series, at least) before the new season begins. Season 5 of Game of Thrones will premiere on April 12 on HBO.
- The Best of the ‘Game of Thrones’ panel at San Diego Comic-Con!
- VIDEO: An Inside Look at the Netflix ‘Marco Polo’ Premiere!
- The 5 Best Game of Thrones Title Sequence Parodies
Hi! I’m Abbie. I’m a Wisconsin girl who just completed a degree in journalism, which I hope will help me achieve my goal of reading books and writing about them for a living. In my free time, I enjoy reading, watching Doctor Who and hanging out with my boyfriend and his two cats.
Check out more from Abbie Reetz on TDQ…