For any of you who have read the books, you know that Season 2 left out a bit of the second book of the Song of Fire and Ice Series, Clash of Kings, and jumped ahead to some of what happened in the third book, A Storm of Swords. Well, the show’s producers, Benioff and Weiss, have said season three of the show will incorporate some of the things we didn’t get to see from a Clash of Kings as well as about half of the plot of A Storm of Swords, the largest book in the series so far. That leaves a lot to be excited about, but here are my top five reasons I can’t wait for Season Three of Game of Thrones…
1. I am very excited for the new characters we’ll get to see in Season 3. I want to see how big Lady Selyse and Shireen’s ears really are. We’ll finally be getting a glimpse of Stannis Baratheons wife, noticeably absent while Stannis and Melisandre were destroying the war table, and his daughter. In the books, there is much talk of their unpleasant features, and it’s Selyse who is the one that brings Melisandre into the fold. I wonder how she’ll feel about the result of all that. Sadly, for me at least, no news on whether we’ll meet Patchface, although Benioff and Weiss have said there will be new characters that haven’t been announced.
We will finally get to lay eyes on Mance Rayder and his army of wildings, who are sure to bring more war and turmoil to Westeros. I cannot wait to see how Jon Snow get’s out of that mess.
We’re also going to see Brynden and Edmure Tully for the first time which means we may finally get to see Riverunn! The inclusion of the Tully men must mean we’re taking a trip to Riverunn or at least that’s what I am hoping! I don’t know about you, but I get excited every time we get a new glimpse of Westeros and beyond, especially the first time I see it pop up on the map in that awesome opening sequence to the show.
Two new characters that haven’t been previously mentioned on the show will be joining Bran, Jojen and Meera Reed . In the book, Jojen and Meera are very interested in Bran’s dreams and we can only guess that they’ll play the same role in the show. That means more prophetic/wolf dreams for Bran and I am more than ok with that!
2. We get to find out Theon’s fate. I hope he winds up with his head on a stick, but we’ll just have to wait and see what happened to him after he was knocked out by his own people. Did I mention I really really hope we get to see his head on a stick?
3. Whitewalkers! The legion of zombie like creatures Jon Snow saw heading towards the wall in the Season 2 finale are sure to play a part in the events of Season 3.
4. Daenerys and her Dragons. Even though Danny got a little petulant in the last episode or so of Season 2, she’s still one of my favorite characters and I cannot wait to see where her and her dragons go with the riches they’ve looted from Xaro Xhoan Daxos. I also can’t wait to see what show’s feature holds for her relationship with her protector, Ser Jorah Mormont. I don’t want to ruin anything for those who haven’t read the books, but so far the show hasn’t defined the relationships as the books have and I hope they keep it that way.
5. More Magic for everyone! Between Whitewalkers, Red Priests and Priestesses, Prophetic Dreams, Direwolves, Faceless Men, Dragons, Ghost Assassins, Seasons that last years, and all the magical things we have yet to see, I expect the world of Game of Thrones to be jampacked with magic in Season 3 and I can’t wait to see it!