Autumn. It brings with it crisp mornings, crunchy leaves underfoot, beautiful colors and chilly evenings. It can also bring with it a dip in mood and feelings of nostalgia for the summer just passed. The change in seasons and the move towards winter with its colder weather can leave you feeling a little down, and a little unmotivated. Colds seem to circle throughout the autumn months, everyone is sniffling and it can be easy to let it get the best of you.
Mental well-being is so important to your overall health – how can you be expected to succeed and enjoy life if you are feeling under the weather? Despite the downsides that come with autumn, there is so much to love about this season and there are many things that you can do to improve your mood and stay healthy at the same time. Here are a few of my tips for beating those pesky autumn blues:
• Embrace the season. Taking part in fun activities and seasonal events is a great way to make yourself feel positive – you won’t give yourself time to feel sad about the fast disappearing warm(ish) weather. Halloween is fast approaching so get into the spirit of the day and do something to celebrate. Go for walks, visit an orchard to pick apples, get a pumpkin, drink hot chocolates, collect the fallen leaves…
• Eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg to ensure that you get lots of vitamins. This is a tip for your health: good nutrition is definitely a great way to help you avoid catching colds and other the nasty viruses that are floating about at this time of year.
• Find comforting activities to do indoors when the weather gets cold and wet. Get seriously into a TV series, curl up with a good book, make projects and get creative!
• Make a playlist full of songs that make you happy and play them whenever you feel a bit down, or simply when you need an extra boost.
• Choose seasonal food like pumpkin pies, roasted root vegetables, apple sauce, cranberries and pears, cinnamon, gingerbread… By celebrating the little things that make autumn great you can give your day a little lift!
• Lastly, appreciate all of the beautiful things that these months have to offer. The stunning colors of the leaves in the trees turning from green, to golden, to red. The crisp, misty mornings. The comfort of wrapping up warm to go out. Glowing fires. The countdown to the festive period ahead…
Often in life, it is the little things that count. The tiniest positive thought can really brighten up your day and by appreciating the good things, it is easier to forget the bad. Staying healthy will help you to avoid getting ill and will also make you feel more upbeat. Autumn brings with it so many lovely changes, just celebrate and embrace them!