So it’s the summer time, many people go away on vacation, whether it be abroad or closer to home. If you’re only away for a couple of nights then it doesn’t really affect your lifestyle, but when you take a trip for a week or longer it can feel a bit like an interruption to your routine. Obviously everyone just wants to be able to relax and enjoy their vacation, but sometimes you come back afterwards and you feel a bit sluggish from overindulging and lazing around by the pool. No one should spend their vacation worrying about what they’re eating or about not being active enough so here are a few words of advice on how to find the balance.
- Find ways to stay active on vacation, without it impeding on your stay. If you’re staying in a hotel, why not take the stairs? If you’re going on a beach vacation then why not go for walks along the shore? If you are on a city break, than it’s easy to wander around the streets and walk around markets. Whatever you can do to stretch your legs a little.
- Pick the healthy options when eating out. It’s actually surprisingly easy to eat quite well when in restaurants on vacation, just pick dishes which involve grilling, steaming or baking rather than frying. Go light on the sweet options. Chose extra vegetables.
- Healthy snacks are definitely the way to go. Again, it is really easy to go to a shop on vacation and buy some fruit to munch on throughout the day.
- Drink lots of water. If you are abroad somewhere in a developing country then make sure you buy bottled water, but wherever you are, especially if it’s hot, make sure you drink lots of water to stay hydrated. Drinking lots also helps to clear your system of any bad things you eat.
- Try to get a normal amount of sleep. It’s really easy, when on vacation, to have lots of late nights, but then not sleep in because it’s not your bedroom or because you have a day of sightseeing ahead. It’s important to keep sleep as regular as possible and make sure that if you need 8 hours, you get 8 hours.
- My most important piece of advice? You’re on vacation; make sure that even if you’re being careful to stay healthy, you’re enjoying yourself! So what if you come back home to slightly tighter pants, it’s 100% worth it if you have a great time.
So if you get the opportunity to have a summer vacation hopefully you now feel you’ll be able to stay on track with your routine, but still enjoy your time away without worrying too much. Summer vacations should be fun so don’t worry too much about what you eat, or what you do. It’s a break away from normal life and you can get let go of your usual cares!