Have you ever been in a situation where someone makes you so angry you really wish you could get a little revenge? I mean, of course you have. We all have. But most of us reign in our wrath in the name of general human decency and keeping the peace. Still, though, it’s fun to imagine ourselves as an intimidating supervillain, which is exactly what I’m going to do as part of a fun tie-in to the upcoming release of the second book in Marie Lu’s The Young Elites series, The Rose Society!
About The Young Elites
If you aren’t familiar with The Young Elites series, it features a group of young survivors of a deadly illness who now have exceptional abilities and powers as a result. This group, the Young Elites, are misunderstood by those without powers – hunted by the King and seen as villains by others – but coveted by the secret Dagger Society that seeks to protect them. The main character in The Young Elites, Adelina, has a unique ability of her own and is known as the White Wolf.
About The Rose Society
Once upon a time, a girl had a father, a prince, a society of friends. Then they betrayed her, and she destroyed them all.
Adelina Amouteru’s heart has suffered at the hands of both family and friends, turning her down the bitter path of revenge. Now known and feared as the White Wolf, she and her sister flee Kenettra to find other Young Elites in the hopes of building her own army of allies. Her goal: to strike down the Inquisition Axis, the white-cloaked soldiers that murdered her love, the Crown Prince Enzo Valenciano.
But Adelina is no heroine. Her powers, fed only by fear and hate, have started to grow beyond her control. She does not trust her newfound Elite friends. Teren Santoro, leader of the Inquisition, wants her dead. And her former friends, Raffaele and the Dagger Society, want to stop her thirst for vengeance. Adelina struggles to cling to the good within her. But how can someone be good, when her very existence depends on darkness?
My Villain Identity
Inspired by Adelina, I’ve put together my own villain identity, though I’ll warn you it got a bit silly. Check it out:
My Villain Name: I mean, is it so wrong just to stick with “Mallory”? It means “unfortunate,” or, literally, “bad luck,” so it’s kind of villainous already. But maybe I need a modifier to make it more intimidating. “Mallory the Malevolent,” perhaps? A good alliteration makes it catchy and memorable. I’m also fond of my oft-preferred screenname, Darth Mallory, which clearly denotes my affiliation with the Dark Side.
My Villain Powers: Mind control, a power which I derive from Diet Coke in my bloodstream. I’ll use my mind control powers for a few specific things
- Commanding the powers that be to broadcast Gilmore Girls and Friday Night Lights reruns on TV 24/7.
- Jumping to the front of the Chipotle line. Okay, if I’m being honest, I’ll probably use it to jump to the front of the line everywhere.
- Rendering small children mute when in my presence.
- Forcing people who aren’t already to be nice to animals and adopt the ones stuck in shelters.
- Giving major headaches to people who use incorrect grammar and spelling.
- Mind controlling my way into first class plane tickets. Because I want more snacks!
- Speaking of snacks, I’ll force Trader Joe’s to bring back lemon triple gingersnap ice cream.
- Convincing Zayn to rejoin One Direction.
- Talking people out of giving their children silly names with superfluous y’s and ee’s.
- Tricking staunch Apple fanatics into believing that all their various iProducts carry infectious (iNfectious?) diseases.
- Tricking myself into thinking running is fun. (I’ll need to be in good shape in case anyone catches on to what I’m doing too quickly for me to mess with their minds and I have to make a break for it.)
Clearly Adelina and the Young Elites have a more noble cause than mine, and if you want to be the first to find out what comes next for them, enter below to win an ARC of The Rose Society.
What are your predictions for The Rose Society? What powers would you have if you were a villain? Who would you want on your supervillain squad? Let us know in the comments!