Halloween is, by far, one of the coolest holidays ever. It’s got some of the best parties, celebrations and festivities – see costumes, haunted houses and trick or treating – and frankly, no matter how old you get there is just something about Halloween that makes you get happy. But for some of us, going out on Halloween is more of a hassle and staying in is far more exciting, and that’s okay! You don’t have to go out on Halloween to make it the best, and we’ve got 10 ideas that will make staying in seem a little bit sweeter:
1. Binge Watch Your Favorite Horror Movies. You can go back as far as The Blob, or go as recent as Paranormal Activity, but turn on Netflix and just go. Marathon those movies until you can’t sleep because you’re sure that your house is not only haunted, but there’s a serial killer watching you from outside your window and the birds from Alfred Hitchcock’s movie are swarming.
2. Binge Watch Your Favorite Halloween Movies That Aren’t Scary. A few that come to mind include Halloweentown, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Hocus Pocus and all the Harry Potter movies. There’s never a bad time to watch the Harry Potter movies.
3. Throw A Themed Dinner Party. Nothing says creepy Halloween fun like a themed dinner party. A couple suggestions include but are not limited to: Murder Mystery, Masquerade, and Internet Memes.
4. Go on Pinterest and Make Some Of Your Favorite Halloween Themed Treats. You don’t have to throw a party to make those awesome treats. And if they don’t look as good as they taste, the only explaining you’ll have to do is why you should totally have made another batch.
5. Buy a Ouija Board And Summon A Spirit. We all know those boards don’t work, but doing it on Halloween would make it creepy and be a great way to pull a prank on your friends.
6. Carve A Pumpkin or Three. Sure, October is when you can buy pumpkins and make jack-o-laterns, but pumpkins last through Thanksgiving decor as well, so decorate your home with some carved pumpkins to keep you ahead of the game going into November.
7. Begin Compiling the Ultimate Christmas Song Playlist. Once the clock strikes midnight and it’s November 1, it’s no holding back. Christmas is only 55 days away and you need to be prepared.
8. Scare Trick or Treaters. Look, I’m not saying you need to scare them badly, but if you get trick or treaters at your house and want to have a little fun, set yourself up in a rocking chair with a creepy mask, hold the candy bucket, and when they come up to grab some jump out and scare them.
9. Buy Some Costumes For Your Pets And Have A Fashion Show. If all your friends are out and you just have your pets for company, buy them some costumes and put on a fashion show, complete with music and a runway. Then upload the pictures on Facebook and Instagram and make your friends wish they were as cool as you.
10. Play Ghost In The Graveyard With Added Flare. Never heard of Ghost in the Graveyard? Basically, think Sardines (one person hides and you pack in with the person as you find them) but played at night, with flashlights, and you only get 12 seconds to hide. Spice it up by ditching the flashlights, opting for glow sticks and making the ghost wear a sheet. Added bonus: if you can scare each person as they find you it’ll make it that much better because it’s Halloween and scaring is just part of the fun.
It doesn’t matter if you plan on staying in on Halloween or going to a party, just make the day awesome. Did we forget something on our list of things to do instead of going out on Halloween? Let us know in the comments below!