To celebrate the release of Elle Cosimano’s Nearly Found, the sequel to last year’s Nearly Gone, Elle was game enough to tackle The Daily Quirk’s version of 20 questions. Keep reading to learn more about Elle and her writing, and be sure to check out our review of the fantastically twisty and ambient Nearly Found.
Getting to know Elle
- Can you tell The Daily Quirk a little about yourself and how you became a writer?
I was a real estate sales and marketing professional for 14 years before I started writing. I was highly successful, but deeply unsatisfied in my career. I had always joked around that one day I would have midlife crisis, quit my job, and write a book. And with the support of my family, that’s exactly what I did. That book was Nearly Gone.
- Do you have any special writing habits or routines?
I spend a lot of time thinking, and I do my best thinking on the beach at the end of my street — pen in hand, toes in the sand, and headphones in my ears.
- How was your process writing Nearly Found similar or different than your process writing Nearly Gone?
I had a lot of creative freedom writing Nearly Gone. It was my first draft of my first book, and I had no idea if it would ever make it out into the world, so I was writing the story I wanted tell. Writing a sequel is a very different experience. Readers have hopes and expectations for the next book, and there’s a lot of internal pressure not to let my fans down. Also, the research for book 2 took me in a very different direction. I had to learn a lot about forensic science, which included a field trip to a regional forensics lab, and that was REALLY fun!
- What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I love cooking, hanging out on the beach, and spending times with my kids. I’m also a volunteer librarian at my local biblioteca, and we’re ramping up a YA book club and writing group for community teens.
- Do you have any upcoming projects you’d like to tell us about?
Holding Smoke, described as The Shawshank Redemption for teens, releases in 2016 with Disney*Hyperion. I love this book so much! I can’t wait to share it with readers. I also write short fiction on Tumblr with a talented group of YA authors. You can find my short stories here: http://hanginggardenstories.tumblr.com/TOC
- …the last movie or TV show you watched that made you cry? I bawled like a baby at the end of the movie Odd Thomas.
- …your favorite place for fast food? I’m not a fan of big fast food chains. There’s a cool little taquería near my house called Paco’s that serves up some amazing shrimp tacos.
- …your biggest pet peeve? Unmade beds. I’m like the Princess and the Pea when it comes to wrinkly sheets.
- …your favorite smell? Homecooking.
- …a song you never get tired of hearing? Foster the People – Pumped Up Kicks
- …your biggest guilty pleasure? Chocolate. I have a terrible sweet tooth.
- …your favorite website or app for killing time? Facebook. We have a love/hate relationship, but dammit Facebook, I can’t quit you!
- …a hobby or skill you wish you had? Math.
- …the last book you read that you just couldn’t put down? Soulprint by Megan Miranda.
- …your go-to movie theater snack? Sno-Caps.
Would you rather…
- …eat pizza every day or eat ice cream every day? Ice Cream
- …have free Starbucks for a year or free itunes music for a year? Music
- …travel back in time or visit the future? Back… otherwise, it spoils the surprises.
- …be a celebrity for a day or hang out with your favorite celebrity for a day? Neither, I’m terribly shy, and I get awkward when I fangirl.
- …wear only 80s clothes and hairstyles forever or wear only 90s clothes and hairstyles forever? 80s, but only if I can listen to all the music too.