In December 2015, Star Wars will be gracing the big screen for the first time in ten years – can you believe it has been that long? When we last left theaters after watching Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, things looked pretty bleak – the Empire was alive, most of the Jedi were dead (along with about 80 percent of the other characters), and twin newborns were still years away from being a new hope for the galaxy. But picking up after the much happier Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (the last of the original trilogy in 1983 – keep up!), Episode VII: The Force Awakens will hopefully be an excellent new addition to the saga. Continue reading
The second round of J.J. Abrams’ domination of all things Sci-Fi with Star Trek Into Darkness released this weekend with throngs of trekkies and Abrams fans hitting the theaters.
This installment of the revamped Star Trek juggernaut starred all the same actors from the 2009 cast: Chris Pine as James T. Kirk; Zachary Quinto as Spock; Zoe Saldana as Uhura; Karl Urban as Bones; John Cho as Sulu; and Simon Pegg as Scotty. Along with a new face, Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan who will undoubtedly show up again as all us old school trekkies know that there is film from the 80’s called Wrath of Khan (one word: earwig – ew!)…when will this new Khan’s wrath come? No one knows yet, but judging by Cumberbatch’s wicked performance it shouldn’t be too long. Continue reading
- J.J. Abrams – if you’re not already familiar with the director of Star Trek Into Darkness, he was also one of the creators of Felicity, Lost, Alias, Fringe, and Undercovers. In addition, he directed Mission: Impossible III, Super 8, and will be taking on the upcoming Star Wars Episode VIII. I have some serious sci-fi nerd love for this man – juggling Star Trek and Star Wars at the same time?! He’s a cinema super hero in his own right, I tell you.
- Mix the action adventure of Star Wars plus the liberal optimism of Star Trek equals the new and improved Abrams’ Star Trek Into Darkness.
- Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto are the Turner and Hooch of Sci-Fi film (sorry guys, I couldn’t come up with a better analogy). Chris Pine is a romantic and action lead of Unstoppable, Smokin’ Aces, and This Means War fame. Zachary Quinto is an edgy television villain from Heroes and American Horror Story.
- Benedict Cumberbatch, two words: English accent – swoon!
- Action, action, action! A whole bunch of sci-fi, space crusader, alien loving, Star Trek action!!!
Star Trek Into Darkness releases nationwide on May 17, 2013 – check back here for my review next Monday.